power's peregrination

We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment. ~Hilaire Belloc

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY, United States

an only child who hopefully doesn't act like one... all the time

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Indonesian Bridesmaid

After I returned from Mountain Jam that last weekend in May, Sari, my former-roommate whom I visited in Jakarta last year (see previous posts) facebooked me to tell me some very exciting news... she's getting married! On Sunday, June 21st she is being proposed to. Let me explain: Johnny her boyfriend has already asked her in private, but there is a tradition where the two families get together and an official proposal takes place. If all goes well (and it better!), Sari and Johnny will be married on Friday, October 2nd, 2009.

Sari has previously been married and isn't looking for the huge, glitz and glamour that she had for her first. The wedding will be more intimate and the wedding reception will be held at a local hotel. Even though she doesn't want it to be large, I have this funny feeling that it's still going to be a big deal. Sari asked both myself and our friend Kenzo to be her bridesmaids. Kenzo actually already bought her ticket online for less than $700 roundtrip, but I didn't get online to the deal quick enough, so I'm still looking. I would love to go over for two weeks, but hopefully I'll have a job by then, so I am planning on returning to Jakarta for a week, departing NYC on Saturday, September 26th and returning on Sunday, October 4th.

The part I am looking forward to the most has got to be my kebaya. During my previous trip to Jakarta, I wore a lime-green kebaya to a family wedding and I bought a beautiful, red/gold lace kebaya from a department store for myself. While cleaning my closets out this past week, I put my red lace kebaya on and low and behold (I knew it), those 10 lbs I put on since my trip have definately done their share to not allow me to wear it in public at this point in time. So, gotta lose the weight so I can wear it to some family event. For the wedding, Sari is going to be getting kebayas made for Kenzo and I and so I have to send her my measurements now and get fitted/tailored within the first day or so after I arrive in Jakarta. Start the diet and exercise!

In another exciting turn of events, I am going to learn how to speak Bahasa Indonesia. I'd love to be able to say a few basic things to Sari's family and friends while over there. I already know how to say a few things such as dog, cat, car, plane, girl, boy, woman, man. Don't forget "the cat is in front of the car". I got that one down pat! I am using the Rosetta Stone program and it's awesome! Gonna be jibberjabbering in another language in no time at all!

So that's my update! I am gonna write another within the next few days about my job search, so be on the lookout!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home